This semester I am teaching a 7th grade reading class and let me tell y'all, it's going to be a challenge.
Yesterday was my first day teaching, before then I was just observing the class.
My first lesson didn't go the way I wanted it to or imagined it would.
But I'll tell you this, I learned a ton.
Like,
-The instant I open my mouth everyone assumes that I'm from Texas or Alabama.
-My students couldn't understand my last name and called me "Ms. Hanlawn" all class period.
-You can't let 7th graders keep markers in their hands after their done with the project they needed them for.
-You can't turn your back on those rascals or you'll completely lose their attention.
-When you're doing the reading portion of your lesson it's effective to pretend you're reading along with them when really you're watching them all like a stinkin' hawk.
-You have to be careful of the vocabulary words you choose from the reading so there can't be any room for inappropriate comments.
-Don't let your students keep the plastic bags that their book review game came in.
-If you don't tell them their assignment is going to be collected and graded they won't do it.
-If you aren't careful and if you don't watch those boys closely, they will stick every pencil they can get their hands on in their black classmates head.
-You can't ask them to do anything. You have to tell them. Because if you ask them to do something...they'll say no.
-And most importantly you have to constantly, CONSTANTLY, remind them to have mutual respect for you and their classmates.
This little seventh grade class might kill me. But if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure I'll be ready for whatever student teaching throws at me.

Oh girrrrl. I'm so excited to hear the future stories about these wild children.
ReplyDelete