Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Constitution Day

Yesterday I was observed in the classroom for the first time by my Student Teaching Supervisor, Tim Dyson, and so this blog post is going to be kind of braggy because it went really well.

Did y'all know that yesterday was Constitution Day? Well, it was. And so that's what my lesson was on yesterday in my 7th grade Utah Studies classes and that's the lesson Tim Dyson observed. We started the class by taking a little quiz on the Constitution as a class just so I could see what my Sevies already know, then we had a discussion that went along with my Constitution presentation, and then we did an activity where the students pretended to be their own State and had to create their own Constitution, then they were put into groups to make a Country out of all their States, all agreeing on a Constitution. And oh I could just kiss those kids they were so good!! They were so engaged and made so many great comments and connections. I was in heaven. And on a side note, not only was I in heaven but I was practically in tears most of the lesson. Talking about our Constitution and hearing such sweet comments from those adolescent Americans was making me a blubbering idiot. This country is miraculous and our Founding Fathers inspired and those two topics will get me every time.
 So anyway, after class ended I met with Tim to find out how I did and what he thought of it all. And this is where I got the greatest compliment I've ever received since I started this adventure of becoming a teacher. Tim Dyson said that not only do I look like a teacher but I move like a teacher, talk like a teacher, and have the demeanor of a teacher!! I was so flattered and honored and amazed! Up to this point in my educational career when I've met with supervisors or professors the focus of our meetings has been on the things I need to work on and improve. So needless to say, it was so great to hear good things about my teaching. And so great to realize that all my work in college has resulted in me actually being a Teacher...or at least appearing as one to Tim Dyson.

So I'd say that so far things have been going great here inside classroom 34 at Brockbank Jr. High. Let's hope it continues!

1 comment:

  1. love this post! ah! and gettin teary allllll dayyyyyy longggggg over america.

    ReplyDelete