So for the longest time I thought that everyone played school when they were little. I thought everyone would force kids that were younger to them to be their students, sit at desks made of toy bins, and even do real assignments. I thought everyone, when they couldn't find real people to be their students, lined their stuffed animals up and made those be the students. And I just thought everyone looked forward to the day when they could be a teacher in a real classroom.
Well in talking to my friends, roommates, and even classmates I have come to realize that that is just not the case. I am, seemingly, the only girl who would rather play "school" than barbies, house, or whatever else little girls play. But you know, that's o.k. because, well, here I am studying to be a teacher and I am loving every minute of it. So far my education classes I have taken have been absolutely wonderful and I have already learned so much.
The other day in one of my education classes I was thinking about this very topic of playing school when I was young. Then I started to remember all the things I loved about Teachers and the job of being a Teacher.
Here are some of the things I remember loving:
-The way magnets sounded when they hit the white board.
-The way the Teacher would walk separately from the line of students in the hallway monitoring them.
-The stretchy key lanyards the teachers wore on their wrists that held the keys to the classroom.
-The teacher getting to signature agendas.
-The way the Expo markers sounded when the teacher writes on the board.
-Rolling the overhead into the right spot and the way you roll up the cord.
-The way a long yard stick sounds when it hits the classroom maps.
-The teacher taking attendance.
-The teacher getting a phone call to the classroom in the middle of class and getting to answer it.
-The teacher getting to grade papers.
While these are now not the reasons that I want to become a teacher they are definitely what got me thinking about how awesome being a teacher would be. I'm so excited to have a classroom and students of my own someday! It's so crazy to me that it's only a couple of years away.



No comments:
Post a Comment