I was hanging out with Ashley and some of our friends from the ward one night. So one of our friend's, Parker, is also from the South and so we were talking about the way we eat our grits. I was saying how my favorite way is to take a piece of toast, put some grits on it, and then either put scrambled eggs or liver mush on top. He was saying how he loves it with just butter and salt. So as we're talking about this Ashley (she's from Idaho Falls) jumps in and says I love grits!! And so we asked her how she liked to eat them and here was her response........
"With brown sugar!"
I about fell out of my chair. I was shocked! I said..........
"Ashley grits are never, EVER supposed to be sweet!! Who told you how to make grits??"
She then proceeded to tell me some boy she met that is from Idaho as well introduced her to grits and told her how to make them. So I told her that I would have to make her some real, SOUTHERN grits sometime. I also told her that you could make cheese grits, which after thinking that grits were supposed to be sweet, just blew her mind.
Ohhh bless!! Can y'all believe that? I just wanted to laugh at the mere thought of putting brown sugar in my grits, but for the sake of her sweet feelings I didn't. Oh man I am just so glad to be a southern girl that knows how to eat some GRITS!

No comments:
Post a Comment