And because we are so fancy and sophisticated we went to dinner at In-N-Out and then onto Brockbank Jr. High's school play.
So as if a Jr High School play entitled "What's a BYUTE: A Family Feud" isn't entertaining enough, guess who sat with us?
My favorite test correcting student. (We'll call him H from here on out)
As Jarin and I were standing in line to buy our tickets I heard some yelling (literally yelling) "Ms. Hanline, Ms. Hanline" and I turn around to see H all wrapped up in a flannel blanket. He then told me that he was so excited to see me, that he didn't expect to see me, that he would be sitting with us and that we were to save him a seat. I of course didn't mind and neither did Jarin.
Now let me just tell you that the rest of the night was spent in complete hilarity.
Up to this point I knew that H thought I had a better smile than 100% of the other teachers at Brockbank but what I didn't know, but now do know, is that I also have a better shoulder to lean a head on. H leaned his head on my shoulder probably 20 times during the 2 hour (which is really long for a Jr. High play by the way) production. He also tried to share his flannel blanket with me several times by asking in full volume (he doesn't know how to whisper) "Ms. Hanline are you cold? You look cold." To which I told him every time "No, thank you H, I'm not cold." To which he still tried to sneak some of that flannel blanket on my knee.
At intermission (which you wouldn't think you would need at a Jr. High play but which you end up being grateful for because it's 2 hours long) H went to go buy a snack and returned with 3 rolls of breath mints. I asked him why he didn't get a snack and he promptly informed me that mints were a snack. (Silly me.) These mints became a complete item of entertainment for H and for Jarin and me too. Not only did he unwrap a whole roll at once to then hold in his sweaty palms but he also so generously offered us those same sweaty mints. Jarin took one...I did not. H also thought it pertinent to blow his minty breath in my face a half a dozen times just to "remind me that he was eating mints." His arm would "accidentally" slip off his arm rest and onto my lap as well. He also "tried to see if I was ticklish" several times, which I obviously wanted and had to put a stop to.
Throughout the play I found myself laughing at H and his sweet and sly self. And every time I would laugh he would say "Ms. Hanline, I know why you're laughing...you're laughing at the play." And I was...but only half of the time.
I can't even express how much I love being a teacher. I loved going to the school play last night and seeing my students, having them happily call out to me to say "hello", and even have them try to force feed me mints all night.
No comments:
Post a Comment