Thursday, October 3, 2013

Grading Tests

Sometimes I think that I would really have loved being a Special Education teacher.
(I don't know if I'd be any good at it but I think I'd love it.)
I have a student in my advisory class with Autism and I love him.
Today he was helping me grade papers.
I let him have this responsibility so he would stop bossing the other students around. Not that the other students were listening to all that bossing but he needed something to do, all that bossing was getting noisy.
The test has 24 questions and the answers are all just letters. So he could have just read the answers out like this:
C
A
D
C
A
B
C
D
D
A
And so on.
I'm a fairly good listener and so I would have been able to grade a lot of papers just listening to him read off the answers.
But that's not how he was reading it.
It was more like this:
"1 is C and then number 2 is A. 3 is D. Hey! Did you see what I did there? I said 3D like a 3D movie! Ok, 4 is C. 5 is A. Oh if you had changed 4 to A and 5 to D you could have spelled DAD with your answers! What number was I on? Oh, 6. Ok, 6 is B. 7 is C. 8 is D and 9 is too."
And so on.
I wanted to laugh the whole time. It was so slow and so confusing and so not helping me at all but it was the sweetest thing that happened today.
I think in the 45 minute advisory period we only graded 3 papers. So I still have 157 to go.
But I loved it and more importantly so did he.

He also told me that I'm nicer than 50% of the teachers at Brockbank but that I'm also meaner than 50% of the teachers at Brockbank too. And when I acted shocked at that bit of honesty he quickly threw in that I have a better smile than 100% of the teachers at Brockbank.
Yea, I love his honesty.

1 comment:

  1. oh my gosh sorry im coming in so late on this but...AWESOME!!!!! oh my gosh i love it! i love him! and this is so precious!

    ReplyDelete