Monday, September 5, 2011

Marley Bee

This is Marley.

She's a 14 year old Quarter Horse. She's 15.3 hands. She's a 'Flee Bitten Grey'. And she's the biggest brat.
Yes, she's a brat but she's more than that. She's also a Diva. A 900 pound Diva. 
Sometimes she drives me nuts.
 Like when she decides that she's going to act scared of her own saddle and I have to battle with her to get it on. Or when she paws at the ground at me impatiently because she wants her feed 'now' and 'how dare I make her wait because I am cleaning her stall'. And when she rolls in the mud right after I got her clean. Or when she won't give me her foot so I can clean it.
But, I love her. 
Despite her attitude and really because of it I love her. She is a great horse.
 Like tonight, I went to clean her stall and I shut her out as I was cleaning it but she stood there with her head over the door watching me clean it. Now I know she was just waiting for her beloved sweet feed but still I didn't have to scoop her poop alone. And lately, she's been so good and I've just enjoyed riding her so. She is a pistol and so entertaining and so smart. I never get used to her ability to open her stall door to let her self in or the way she only goes to the bathroom in the woods instead of out in the pasture where she eats. 
Marley is awesome. 
And sometimes I just am amazed that such a magnificent creature lets me get so close. She lets me on her back. She lets me hug her neck. She lets me lean and brush and breath her in. 
It's quite amazing really. That such a strong animal, that could do so much damage, lets me in. She lets me be her caretaker. She lets me love her.






No comments:

Post a Comment