Sunday, March 20, 2011

Wishin' I was knee deep in the water somewhere...

So last night my roommate Megan and I stayed up until 5:30 this morning! We were talking to 'beat the band' about every little thing that popped into our heads! But for about 2 hours we got on the topic of our favorite places on earth. Hers being Logandale, Nevada, where her grandparents and cousins live. Mine being... any guesses???  OAK ISLAND!! Oh man I just got so caught up in thinking about it and all the things I love about it. So here are some of the things that I love:
I love that you have to go across the bridge to get to the Island. I love that we wait until we are at the tip top of the bridge to see who can call out that they saw the ocean first. I love that there aren't any movie theaters, malls, etc. on the island. I love how we can eat whatever we want when we're at the beach because it's vacation. I love how late we stay up playing cards and laughing. I love how we all crowd into one house together. I love how we spend all day out on the beach. I love getting to see Will Spencer. I love when the sand up near the dunes is so hot you have to run across it to get to the cooler sand. I love how the water is the perfect temperature, cold enough to keep you cool but not too cold that you're uncomfortable. I love how every drink and snack tastes better because your out on the beach. I love the shells everywhere and finding a good one, making you feel so lucky. I love the sand-flees and periwinkles in the surf. I love watching people walk past you, some being attractive and others having confidence that they probably shouldn't. I love the feeling of your skin being toasty, not burnt, but how you can literally feel yourself getting tan. I love how your hair gets knotty and salty. I love when you shower at the end of the day and you can feel the sand and salt washing off. I love going to Provisions and eating the fresh food, taking pictures, and being outside in South Port. I love being with my family for 2 weeks and the memories we have made there.

So beautiful! I just can't wait to get back to my beloved Island!

This is not by any means everything I love about Oak Island and the beach but I don't want to keep going and become boring. In a song by the Zac Brown Band "Knee Deep" there is a line that describes Oak Island quite well... it is "When you lose yourself you find the key to Paradise." and man ain't that the truth. Going to Oak Island and leaving all the day to day stuff on the main land is how paradise is found!

No comments:

Post a Comment